Is it possible to find an affordable moving company? There is often a misconception that professional movers are costly and you may not be able to find them within your budget. The key is to know where to look for these affordable movers. Ask references from friends, family and search the Internet to find moving companies that are affordable.
Although it is quite easy to find cheap moving companies, it may take some effort to find affordable moving companies that are professional. Hiring cheap movers can end up costing you more so it is best to avoid them.
The difference in the quality of service that is offered by cheap and affordable movers is enormous. It is advisable to stick with a professional mover so that you are assured quality customer service and value for your money.
Top 6 Tips for Finding an Affordable Moving Company
- Plan and start asking for quotes from companies at least 3 – 4 weeks in advance. Try to get quotes from as many companies you want and short list them based on the price and services they offer. The quotes may vary depending on the type of service that has been offered.
- After short-listing the movers, you can call them for interview. After the telephonic interview, you can call them home to get an estimate. Ask them to provide a detailed estimate that includes all costs.
- Compare the estimates provided by the moving companies and ask as many questions as possible. Seek clarification on each item of cost so that you are aware about what you are paying. Negotiate the cost so that you are able to get the best deal at affordable price.
- Timing is very important when you are trying to find an affordable moving company. The cost of hiring professional movers is high during Friday, weekends and holidays. It is advisable to hire them during Monday or the middle of the week so that you may be able to save money.
- Most moving companies offer hourly rate and flat rate and depending on where you are relocating, you can make the choice. It is advisable to choose hourly rate if you are moving locally and flat rate if you are moving from one state to the other.
- If the rate is based on the weight of equipment that needs to be transported, you can get rid of things that you may not need and this can help reduce costs substantially. You can sell or donate things to charity and this can help reduce the overall weight of equipment.
A good moving company should not just be affordable but also offer reliable service. If any of your family or friends had used movers, you can ask them for references. You can also research companies that provide affordable services online.